Position: Outreach & Communications Specialist
The Central Maryland Transportation Alliance seeks qualified applicants for the position of Outreach & Communications Specialist. It is a part-time position based on 20 hours per week.
Desired Start Date: March 2016
The Central Maryland Transportation Alliance is a non- profit coalition of business, philanthropic, non-profit and institutional organizations. Our commitment is to create a forward-thinking, innovative, realistic, usable transport system. We advocate for better transportation throughout the Region and to provide access and opportunity for housing, jobs, education, services, and recreation to all residents.
The scope of work includes the following:
• Assist with the development of communications and outreach strategies for the organization and its initiatives;
• Maintain the Transportation Alliance’s communications presence through web content, Twitter, Facebook, e-mail newsletters, or letters;
• Adapt and disseminate stories and messages across a variety of platforms: web, e-news, social media, as well as through traditional media, media pitches and newsletter articles;
• Track and report results of communications and apply knowledge gained from those results;
• Assist with preparing presentations for audiences including elected officials, other non-profit advocacy organizations, economic development professionals, business leaders, etc.;
• Represent the organization at meetings;
• Identify stakeholders in certain issues or initiatives, and engage their involvement or support;
• Promote the Transportation Alliance as a resource to media;
• Conduct research to support the Transportation Alliance’s initiatives. This includes, but is not limited to our Transportation Report Card, improving the bus system, transit-oriented development, transportation funding, and
bench marking the region against national peers;
• Other duties as assigned. In an office environment with a small staff, all personnel, including the Outreach & Communications Specialist are asked to be flexible about covering various duties as they come up.
• BA or BS degree or college experience with relevant coursework in public policy, environmental science, marketing, communications, geography, urban planning, or related fields;
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly with word processing and organizing data in spreadsheet format;
• Proficiency with social media such as Twitter and Facebook and web outreach;
• Experience with organizing, issue campaigns, or public involvement is preferred;
• Experience with quantitative analysis of data is preferred;
• Familiarity with transportation and its connection with economic development, social equity, public health and environmental issues is preferred;
• Experience with management of a web site is a plus.
Compensation will be at an hourly rate based on skills and experience.
How to apply: email resume and cover letter to Eric Norton, Director of Policy & Programs, email@example.com. We will conduct a first review of resumes and letters received by Wednesday, February 24th at close of business.